Food Pairings – Wild Berry and Apple Kombucha Crumble
The perfect autumnal dessert!
Recipe by Mairi Rivers AKA Ginger Vegan
For the Crumble:
- 500g Cooking apples
- 300g frozen berries
- 80g plus 3 tbsp sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 40g walnuts
- 50g pecan nuts
- 50g oats
- 100g vegan butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
Quarter, core and chop the apples and place in a baking dish. You can remove the skins if you wish but I find it is just as nice with them on. Mix the frozen berries and sprinkle over 3 tbsp sugar.
2. To make the crumble finely chop the nuts and mix with the flour, oats and sugar. Rub in the vegan butter until it resembles chunky breadcrumbs. You can do all this in a food processor if you prefer. Spread the crumble out over the top of the fruit.
Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
3. While the crumble is baking prepare the custard.
- 250ml single soya cream
- 200ml Wild Berry Equinox Kombucha
- 60g sugar
- 50ml soya milk
- 1 tbsp corn flour
1. Put the soya cream, kombucha and sugar in a small pan. In a small bowl mix the corn flour into 30 mls of the milk until smooth, then add the rest of the milk, mix again and finally add to the pan.
Heat the custard on a medium heat until it comes to a simmer, stirring constantly.
2. Cook for a further 30 seconds until it has thickened. Remove from the heat.
3. Serve with the crumble and a glass of Wild Berry Kombucha.
You can store any extra custard in the fridge in a sealed container, or even make the day before.