Food Pairings – Tofish and Chips with Original Kombucha
Who said being Plant-based isn't fun?
We love this delicious plant based take on a classic British recipe. Our Original Kombucha pairs really well with this dish to compliment the crisp flavours!
Here’s how to make it:
- 1kg potatoes
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
1. Cut the potatoes into chip shapes. I leave the skin on but you can peel them first if you prefer. Place into a large bowl.
In a small bowl combine the flour, smoked paprika, onion and garlic granules, salt and pepper and mix well.
2. Pour the oil over the chips and toss to coat. Then pour over the flour mixture and mix well.
3. Place on two lined baking trays in a single layer and bake at 200C for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked through and lightly browned.
While the chips are baking prepare the tofish.
For the tofish:
- 550g extra firm tofu
- 2 sheets of sushi nori (seaweed sheets)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 60g flour
- 50g corn flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp seaweed seasoning flakes (optional)
- 140ml Original Equinox Kombucha
- Oil for frying.
1. Drain the tofu and pat dry. Cut into fillet shapes or triangles about 1 cm thick.
Squeeze some lemon juice over each slice of tofu and place a piece of nori, cut to fit, on top.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flours, salt and seaweed flakes if using, then add in the Kombucha, mixing to a smooth batter.
3. Put about 0.5cm of oil in a frying pan and heat until a small piece of tofu dropped in begins to sizzle.
4. Dip each of the tofu fillets in the batter and fry for a few minutes on each side until golden. Drain on kitchen towels.
Serve with the chips, peas or beans, plenty of ketchup and a bottle of Original Kombucha.
Let us know if you try it! 🙂